Hey guys, today am going to show you how prepare delicious Nigerian local soup know as bitter leaf soup, it’s one of the mouth-watering local soup. Bitter leave soup trace it origin to the eastern part of Nigeria and it is mostly consumed by every Nigerian.
Below are ingredients for this delicious recipe:
- 1kg of assorted meat (Beef, ox tail, shaki, cow leg, goat meat)
- 1kg medium smoked fish
- 1 big Size stock fish
- 100grams grounded Crayfish
- 2 Maggi cubes
- 1 big sized onion .
- 2 tablespoonfuls dried grounded red hot chilli pepper
- 10tablespoonful of red palm oil
- 2 medium sized white cocoyam
- Freshly squeezed or dried bitter leaf
- Salt…. 1/2 teaspoonfuls
- 1 tablespoonful of dried curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoonfuts of dried thyme leaves..
- 10 cups of water
Steps to prepare delicious bitter leaf soup
|Preparing bitter leaf soup.|
- Thoroughly wash the asserted meat in clean warm water.
- Put in a medium sized pot, add about a cup or two of water and two cubes of maggi seasoning or bullion cubes, half onion, sliced, salt to taste, little sprinkle of dried curry powder about 1/2 tablespoonful, dried thyme leaves, and bring to boil for about 20 minutes.
- Thoroughly wash the stock fish to remove any vestige of sand gain and allow to run under plenty of tap water. The stock fish is best soaked overnight to allow it absorb water and become tender.
- Cut the stock fish into servable bits and add it to the boiling meat.
- Allow to boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the washed medium smoked fish, and allow the whole mixture of assorted meat, stock fish, and smoked fish to boil for another 5 minutes.
- Now add about 4 cups of water into the pot of boiling meat and fish, and add about 1 or 2 tablespoonful of dried red hot pepper to taste and freshly squeezed or dried bitter leaf (3 to 4 balls of hand squeezed fresh bitter leaf. Allow to boil for 3 5 minutes.
- At this point add the palm oil, and already cooked and mashed cocoyam to thicken the soup.
- Where you can not get cocoyam, a sprinkle of garri would do the same.
- Add salt, and pepper to taste again, and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
Your brtter leaf soup is ready to eat.
Bitter leaf soup can be eaten or served with pounded yam or semollna or eba.